Gateways began operations as a non-profit, economic development support organization in February, 1998. By functioning as a "hands-on" strategic advisor, Gateways helps to develop technology-based research centers and companies by negotiating, implementing and managing all phases of the business acceleration process. Specific to this goal, we:
- Assist Technology Centers with strategic planning, fund raising, management team formation, developing strategic industry partners, and due diligence to help identify the most promising technologies emanating from those Centers.
- Stimulate Commercial Business Development by monitoring and analyzing the “deal flow” of new discoveries and advances originating from Technology Centers, our various academic and research institution relationships, early-stage business opportunities presented by our network of advisors and mentors, and Gateways’ portfolio of successful, start-up ventures.
- Develop Natural “Business Clusters” around successful ventures and early-stage companies.
Since its inception, Gateways has established, or formed collaborative alliances with, over 30 Technology Centers, primarily in Western Pennsylvania, but extending throughout the Northeastern and Midwestern United States. The organization has also assisted in the formation of over 60 new or development-stage companies… many of which are thriving today as successful business enterprises.
Sample Listing of Clients (Past & Present)
- Crawford Grill, LLC
- World-Class Industrial Network, LLC
- Starting Gate
- Pittsburgh Central Keystone Innovation Zone
- Entech Innovation Center
- eCap, LLC
- The Clemente Society
- Animal Care & Assistance Fund
- Engine House 25
- University of Pittsburgh John A. Swanson Center for Product Innovation
- National Center for Defense Robotics (Robotics Foundry)
- Penn State University Research Commercialization Office
- Purdue Research Foundation
- Pittsburgh Green Innovators
- Institute for Computer Assisted Surgery
- MEMS (Micro Electromechanical Systems) Industry Group North America
- Penn State University Zetachron Center for Science and Technology Business Development
- Penn State Electro-Optics Center
- City University of New York (CUNY) Business Accelerator