Gateways began operations as a non-profit, economic development support organization in February, 1998. By functioning as a "hands-on" strategic advisor, Gateways helps to develop technology-based research centers and companies by negotiating, implementing and managing all phases of the business acceleration process. Specific to this goal, we:
- Assist Technology Centers with strategic planning, fund raising, management team formation, developing strategic industry partners, and due diligence to help identify the most promising technologies emanating from those Centers.
- Stimulate Commercial Business Development by monitoring and analyzing the “deal flow” of new discoveries and advances originating from Technology Centers, our various academic and research institution relationships, early-stage business opportunities presented by our network of advisors and mentors, and Gateways’ portfolio of successful, start-up ventures.
- Develop Natural “Business Clusters” around successful ventures and early-stage companies.
Since its inception, Gateways has established, or formed collaborative alliances with, over 30 Technology Centers, primarily in Western Pennsylvania, but extending throughout the Northeastern and Midwestern United States. The organization has also assisted in the formation of over 60 new or development-stage companies… many of which are thriving today as successful business enterprises.
Sample Listing of Clients (Past & Present)
- Energy Innovation Center
- Crawford Grill Development, LLC
- America's Arts & Music Crossroads Center
- Dream Makers Ventures Creativity and Careers Program
- eCap Network, LLC
- The Clemente Society and Collection at Engine House 25 (non-profit Clemente Museum)
- Re-development of Engine House 25 (for profit winery and event center)
- The major expansion of Pittsburgh Veterinary Surgical Center
- Animal Care & Assistance Fund (Pittsburgh Veterinary Surgical Center)
- Pittsburgh Community Kitchens
- University of Pittsburgh, Swanson Center for Product Innovation
- National Center for Defense Robotics (the Robotics Foundry)
- Entech Innovation Center
- Penn State University Research Commercialization Office Zetachron Center
- Purdue Research Foundation Gateways Program
- Pittsburgh Green Innovators
- Institute for Computer Assisted Surgery (CASurgica)
- MEMS (Micro Electromechanical Systems) Industry Group
- First Link DOD and DHS Program
- Advanced Manufacturing Technology Ventures
- City University of New York (CUNY) Business Accelerators in Queens and Bronx
- The 10,000 Businesses Project at LaGuardia Community College, NY (adopted by Goldman Sachs)
- EVIIVE Water Purification Project (a non-profit organization)
- Novatech (Northern Ireland)